National Review Institute is a non-profit, 501(c)(3), journalistic think tank that preserves and promotes William F. Buckley Jr.’s legacy and advances the principles of a free society through educational and outreach programs. NRI fulfills its mission by executing the Institute’s core educational and outreach programs, including the NRI Fellows program and associated centers, the William F. Buckley Jr. Fellowships in Political Journalism, Regional Partnership events, the NRI On Campus program, the WFB Communicators’ program, the Burke to Buckley Fellowship Program, the biennial Ideas Summit, Regional Seminars, the Buckley Legacy Project, and support for National Review’s Books, Arts & Manners section, National Review Capital Matters, and an array of events.
NRI events include The William F. Buckley Prize Dinner, Regional Seminars and the Ideas Summit, topical conferences, book launches, symposiums, salons, and partnership events, among others.
National Review Institute seeks a full-time Vice President of Development to oversee strategic growth in fundraising and development. The VP of Development will be responsible for managing a team of four staff, including three regional development directors, overseeing their portfolios and making sure they are tracking towards goals. The VP of Development will manage large projects such as fundraising campaigns and smaller projects like collateral material. In addition, the VP of Development will conceptualize, promote, execute, and follow up after a broad array of events, which serve to both advance donor relationships and enhance the overall NR/NRI brand. The VP of Development will also oversee the foundation program (reviewing and approving proposals and reports), budgeting, the direct-mail program, the 1955 Society, and the Legacy Society, and manage a portfolio of high-level donors and prospects, including meetings, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship.
The Vice President of Development may either work virtually from anywhere in the country or from NRI’s New York City headquarters. The Vice President of Development reports to NRI’s President.
- Strong understanding of and appreciation for Buckley conservatism
- Strong experience in development and major-gifts fundraising
- Team management experience
- Extensive donor event fundraising knowledge
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, especially writing and the ability to speak publicly
- A strong work ethic and willingness to take initiative
- Ability to travel nationally up to 2X month for up to 2 days each time
- Knowledgeable in building out CRM use and best development practices; familiarity with Salesforce is a plus
What You’ll Love:
- Promoting the conservative ideals of William F Buckley Jr through programs which support education, journalism and events
- Implementing your vision for building a comprehensive development strategy that produces aggressive growth
- Leading an exceptional team to successfully meet a fundraising goal of 7.2 million
NRI offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and provides excellent benefits (Medical, dental, vision, life insurance) including contributions to retirement plan.